I started playing World of Warcraft (my first MMO) on January 30, 2005 at the request of a friend of mine who works for Vivendi (which happens to own Blizzard). A lot of Vivendi guys were playing Horde characters, thus, that's the side I started on. What follows are my experiences in the game and a chronicle of what has happened during my time there, mostly through Vanilla (lvl 60).
Vesicular - Level 71 - WoW Armory
Vesicular is my main character, a Tauren Shaman. His build is full dual wield Enhancement spec.
From the beginning I made sure to take screen grabs of Vesicular's progress through the game every two levels. Below you can see his progress in the initial trek to lvl 60:
- Level 6
- Level 8
- Level 10
- Level 12
- Level 14
- Level 16
- Level 18
- Level 20
- Level 22
- Level 24
- Level 26
- Level 28
- Level 30
- Level 32
- Level 34
- Level 36
- Level 38
- Level 40
- Level 42
- Level 44
- Level 46
- Level 48
- Level 50
- Level 52
- Level 54
- Level 56
- Level 58
- Level 60
Shokoti - Level 70 - WoW Armory
Shokoti is my alt Undead Priest. She's speced half Disc, half Holy, basically spirit spec and is the main healer for the guild. The name comes from one of the evil women characters from He-Man.
Shokoti eventually transferred to Steamwheedle Cartel and is now named Mir.
Gusso - Level 25 - WoW Armory
Gusso is my alt Undead Mage. He's currently frost speced. I made Gusso when my wife started playing and made an Undead female Mage named Gussa. We leveled together, her fire spec, me frost. Gusso sits in limbo as Gussa is currently in storage.
Non - Level 25 - WoW Armory
Non is my alt Orc Warrior. He's currently working down the Fury spec tree. I mostly made him to play with some of the lowbies in our guild and help them along. I don't really see leveling him much past 30 if even that far.
Stabem - Level 19 - WoW Armory
Stabem is my PvP twink Orc Rogue. Her name comes from an episode of Red Dwarf where Rimmer tries to cover up getting caught asking a skutter to stab someone by responding "Oh, have you met Stabem?". The goal with Stabem is to make the best lvl 19 twink I can. She will never level beyond this.
I've been a part of a guild for all but about 5 days since I started playing the game. Here's the guilds I got into, and how.
No Talent was the guild my buddy was in, and I was invited to it after about 5 mins into the game. I actually didn't know what was going on at the time I was invited and thus turned down the first invite. I got it eventually. The name was pretty lame, but we were one of the larger guilds at the time.
I was not privy to flared tensions going on, however, one night things erupted and several members left the guild. After that it was a mass exodus. People joining other large guilds, and some creating a new one together. I left when my friends did, which was around April of '05.
Brill Bone Collectors
BBC was started by the Vivendi guys after the No Talent imploded. Their rule at first was only Vivendi guys, thus I was not invited right away. I used this time to actually play the game in a different light, without a guild. After a while the BBC guys caved and started inviting others into the guild, at which time I joined up. Membership grew fast, as people in the guild wanted to do large instances like Molten Core. At its peak BBC was pushing 200 members. In July of '05 we started MC runs, which I started in Aug when I hit 60. I also designed and built the guild website at the time.
After a couple months of doing MC, some of the veterans got tired of the grind. It was a slow trickle as one by one people started to leave. We hadn't done MC in a month and those in the guild solely to do the instances got worried. It was around this time that I started to think about making my own guild with my buddy Dave (Symbioid). However it was also at this time that BBC made me an officer, so I felt I owed something back to the guild.
What I did was basically take charge and try to set up some replacements for the departed officers. Nobody really knew it at the time, but I was thinking of leaving as well. I put five new officers in charge. Once that was agreed upon and set, I left the guild. This was in Sept of '05.
It wasn't much after that time that things started to turn a bit sour in BBC. Most of the same things that happened to No Talent happened to BBC, only this time BBC evenly split. A lot of people went to Umbral Sect which was a new guild then, but many also stayed in BBC and are still in the guild.
Dave and I had the idea of getting away from the big huge raiding guilds and just doing our own thing, casually. I started by getting the guild made and then Dave joined. This happened on Oct 1, '05. We're both the only officers of the guild, and Shokoti is the guild master. For the name, we chose Dopplegang, which was a joke from high school about a funny name for a gang that Dave had.
The guild started out with three basic rules. Friends of friends from real life only (which gives people a vested interest in the guild), no slander or bigotry (which is common in most guilds) and no Rogues. Dave and I don't much care for the Rogue class, and so we threw the last rule in as somewhat of a joke. However, we've since changed our stance and have our first Rogue. The first two rules remain however.
So far things have been wonderful. We're a small but close group. It's easily the best guild I've been in. Morale is high and everyone is having fun working together. But it's a casual guild, so there should be little problems.
I've taken a fair number of screen grabs throughout the game. Here are some of the more interesting ones most of which are from the pre-Dopplegang era.
Random things I took pics of in the world, from the fun to the bizarre.
- Air Chase - Early on, I thought flying after someone was sorta fun.
- AQ Gate - Here's the gate to AQ which should open on our server in the next couple months.
- Catapult - Ready to be launched.
- Auction House Dance - Who doesn't dance on the AH?
- Dead View - My first death in the game...from falling off Thunder Bluff.
- Fake Mount - Pretending I had a mount when I was a lowbie.
- Fireworks - Lunar Festival in Undercity.
- Giant Tauren - Someone got a growth buff.
- Halloween - For Halloween, I was a Lepper Gnome.
- Hearth - Hearthing into Org.
- Kodo Mail - My Kodo sitting on top the mailbox in Crossroads.
- Lake Night - One of my first nights in the game.
- Mounts - One day someone wanted to take a pic of mounts in Org.
- Onyxia Buff Wait - Waiting for the Onyxia head to show up, on the first night she was killed on the server, by the Frenzy guild.
- Onyxia Head - Her head after they put it up.
- Puff - Me smoking in Thunder Bluff.
- Siamese - Me and an Orc melded together in the Crossroads.
- Sleep - Taking a nap at the inn.
- Tauren Dance - When the Tuarens got a new dance, everyone partied.
- Throne - On the throne in Undercity. Everyone takes this pic.
- Titanic - I feel like I'm flying!
- Tree House - Hanging out in Orgrimmar.
- Two Dragons - Both dragons heads in Org at the same time.
- Waterfall - The waterfall in Ashenvale.
- Well Glow - On my first totem quest with Ves.
- Wolf Dance - Dancing in Ghost Wolf form in Bloodhoof Village.
- WSG House Top - Hanging out on top of the Warsong Gultch entrance building.
Playing with people you know is one of the best parts of the game. Here's some pics of my friends and I doing various stuff.
- Dead Party - Our first instance and first guild party wipe in No Talent.
- Dopplegang Formed - Dave and I right after we formed Dopplegang and got our tabards.
- Dopplegang 4 Months - Dave and I 4 months after we started DG.
- Drak Fight - The final boss in UBRS, with BBC.
- Gahzrilla Downed - BBC helping me get the Carrot on a Stick.
- Statue of Liberty - Doing the Indiana Jones quest in Uldaman with BBC.
- Serpentis Fight - Fighting Serpentis with Dave in Wailing Caverns.
- Serpentis Downed - After the kill.
- Princess End - End of the Princess quest, with BBC.
- With Ben - Playing with my friend Ben when his account was created.
- With Matt & Dave - Playing with Matt and Dave when we were noobs.
- With Rob's Alt - Playing with Rob's alt.
No game is prefect, and there are plenty of bugs that creap into a game. Here's some that I happened onto during my playtime.
- Bad Textures - Usually textures blend nicely, here's a spot I found that they forgot to blend together.
- Boat Stuck - Somehow I got trapped by the head in the boat on my way to Booty Bay.
- Crazy Wyvern - Somehow this wyvern got stuck flapping around Orgrimmar.
- Thrall's Wyvern - This wyvern got stuck in Thrall's chamber.
- Crazy Griffen - Even weirder, some alliance player go stuck on his griffen flying around Orgrimmar.
- Double Death - Somehow my body got killed twice.
- Earth Hole - In Warsong Gultch I fell through an invisible hole in the earth. I fell for a very long time, finally dying somewhere in the nether reaches of space.
- Floating - I was fighting alliance near Thunder Bluff and was instantly wisked away through the air, all the way to Shimmering Flats in Thousand Needles. This took only 2 mins. Very weird glitch.
- White Tauren For some reason the Mac version of WoW will give you white characters from time to time.
- Ves/Sho - Vesicular and Shokoti on the server at the same time. Technically this should be impossible.
Open world raids are fun, whether you're on offense or defense. Here's some pics of a few I've been in.
- Dragon In Org - Not really a true raid, but it took a bunch of people to take out this tamed dragon from Orgrimmar.
- Stormwind Raid - For Jadessa's birthday we decided to raid Stormwind. This was the result.
- Thrall Raid - The alliance tries to raid Orgrimmar and overthrow Thrall. I just happened to be in his chamber at the time.
- Thrall Guard - Those of us there, back up to help protect Thrall.
- Thrall Bow - Thrall pretty much kills all those allies in 15 seconds. We bow to his might.
Here's a bunch of pics I took on my few months from Molten Core with BBC.
- MC View - A view of the MC entrance from Blackrock Depths. While we were getting people attuned.
- First Time - My first time in MC, while we were waiting for summon.
- Raid - BBC raid group, before we start.
- STAND ON IT! - Top (our main tank) would always yell "Stand on it!" when killing lava elementals.
- Bridge Cross - Crossing the bridge after killing the first mobs.
- Magmadar - A shot of Magmadar, we had yet to kill him after 3 weeks of trying.
- Magmadar Downed - That same night we killed him for the first time, and all posed for a picture.
- Gehennas Downed - Shortly thereafter we killed Gehennas.
- Shazzrah Downed - One of our last nights running MC, killing Shazzrah.
- Garr Downed - After I created DG, I was asked to help the new Umbral Sect guys kill off Garr. It was the last time I've been in MC.